Thousands of people are injured or killed by vehicle accidents involving large trucks each year on busy U.S. roads, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
If you or a family member were harmed in an accident with a truck in the Tampa Bay Area of Florida, you need to hire an expert truck accident lawyer at the Curry Law Group as soon as possible.
We can determine whether it would be best to file a lawsuit based on negligence, product liability or wrongful death.
You will likely be fighting for compensation from a big trucking company that has an army of truck accident attorneys in their corner. And they won’t be the only lawyers you may be up against.
Many legal teams may join the battle over who’s at fault in the accident. Besides the driver, others who may dispute any liability include:
- Owners of the truck and/or trailer
- Companies that leased either
- Truck’s manufacturer
- The manufacturer of truck components such as brakes
- Truck’s insurance company
Proving negligence is key to winning most cases. Curry Law Groups’ truck accident lawyers can determine which, if any, state and federal regulations may have been violated by the big rig driver in your case. That means Curry Law Group’s investigators will seek evidence to determine:
- If the driver was fatigued from being behind the wheel for more hours than allowed without a break
- Whether the driver had proper training/experience
- If the load the truck was carrying was over the legal limit
- Whether drugs or alcohol played a role in the accident
- If the driver had a record of traffic violations or accidents
- Whether the truck was going too fast for road or traffic conditions
- The maintenance record for both the truck and its trailer
If you are able to after being in an accident, try to obtain the trucker’s name, contact information, employer and insurance company. And if the trucker volunteers any information or apologies about the accident, write that down as soon as possible.
Also if you can safely do it, write down the names and contact information of any witnesses. Sketch out the accident scene and photograph all damaged vehicles.
If you are too injured or upset to collect information, don’t worry. Curry Law Group truck accident attorneys know how to best gather evidence for your legal case, including:
- Police accident reports of the scene
- Any mandated state or federal reports filed
- Any surveillance video of the accident or photographic evidence of the aftermath
- Medical history of the truck driver
- The doctors and hospital records on your injuries
- Interviews with any witnesses
- Experts who can analyze the accident, explain how it could have been avoided, and if needed, construct a model of accident to help a jury understand
Any proven negligence, recklessness or criminal behavior connected to the truck or its driver can enable Curry Law Group lawyers to seek punitive damages on top of your actual damages from the accident.
Those actual damages may include your current medical bills, future medical expenses from treatment your doctors say you will continue to need, lost wages, and future wages if someone was disabled or killed.
Curry Law Group attorneys will also skillfully negotiate the best settlement outcome for you if there are multiple plaintiffs to your lawsuit.
But your best first step is hiring a Curry Law Group truck accident lawyer as soon as possible after your accident.